All of our volunteers participate in an orientation upon arrival to Peru. For our summer program, the orientation lasts about 5 days and for our other programs, the orientation lasts 2-3 days. This orientation is important as it gives volunteers a sense of where they are and what is important to the Peruvian people they will be working with for the next month. And as our past volunteers will tell you, it's lots of fun!
Our orientation includes activities such as:
- Peruvian Cooking Class
- Latin Dance Lesson
- Archaeological Site Visits (Chan Chan or Huaca de la Luna)
- Sandboarding or Surfing
- Survival Spanish Lesson
- Work Site Visits and Introductions
- Presentation of Traditional Peruvian Dances
We also go over important information for your stay in Peru such as:
- Staying Safe in Peru: Thinking Like a Peruvian
- Introduction to Work Sites & Health and Education Systems in Peru
- Recommendations for Americans volunteering in Peru
- Cultural Differences applicable to your stay in Peru
- Weekend Travel Information
Our staff also provides continuous support throughout the course of the volunteer program. We have coordinators present in all project locations who check in with volunteers several times a week. Our staff visits host family locations and partner worksites on a weekly basis and is available to volunteers at all times during the course of the volunteer program.