Cleft Lip and Palate Surgical Mission – Ica, Peru
We are excited to offer the opportunity for volunteers to participate the surgical mission in Ica that really makes an immediate difference in the lives of children with cleft lip or palate and their families here in Peru. During this mission, you will work together with a team of surgeons from the United States. The goal of the volunteer program is to help their mission to run smoothly and successfully as well as provide effective post-op education to patients who receive operations during the mission. Volunteers will be evaluated on a one-on-one basis and will be assigned tasks based on their ability and interests. We also welcome health professionals who are interested in participating in the mission. (pediatricians, nurses, etc) Volunteer activities include:
- Entertain children and families during their hospital stay
- Work as part of the administrative team to keep campaign running smoothly
- Translate (Spanish-English) for doctors and patients
- Explain post-op care to parents and children after surgery
- Listen to surgeons’ presentations on special cases
- Help deliver meals to patients and their families
- Filling out patient histories
- Accompany patients from pre-op to the OR
- Observe surgeries (if interested)
- Evening and weekend excursions to explore Ica!
- Intermediate-Advanced Spanish
- Desire to work hard for the patients!
- Previous hospital experience is a plus
Dates: TBD (approx. April 2018) Cost: $950 + flight
Cost includes all housing, food, transportation and program-related costs while in Peru. Click here to learn more about what costs are covered by the program fee.
Application Deadline: March 1st, 2018 **Contact us regarding discounts for returning volunteers!
Ica Surgical Mission Sample Schedule